51. ____ has recently been done to provide more buses for the people, a shortage of public vehicles remains a serious problem.
A. That B. What C. In spite of what D. Though what
52. As we have much time left, let's discuss the matter ____ tea and cake.
A. over B. with C. by D. at
53. Mr Black must be worried about something. You can ____ it from the look on his face.
A. reason B. recognize C. read D. realize
54. ——Can I pay the bill by check?
——Sorry, sir. But it is the management rule of our hotel that payment ____ be made in cash.
A. shall B. need C. will D. can
55. If you win the competition, you will be given ____ to Europe for two.
A. a free 7-day trip B. a free trip for 7-day C. a 7-day free trip D. a trip for 7-day free
56. ——Hey, Kelin. Happy new year! ____?
——Ok, I guess. My grandma kept cooking and cooking, so I just kept eating.
A. How was your break B. How is your grandma
C. Where did you go for holiday D. What did you do in your holiday
57. ——Would you mind giving your advice on how to improve our business management?
——if you make ____ most of the equipment, there will be ____ rise in production.
A. 不填;不填 B. the;a C. 不填;a D. the;不填
58. ——Will $200 ____ the cost of the damage?
——I'm afraid not. I need at least $100 more.
A. do B. include C. cover D. afford
59. If you live in the country or have ever visited there, ____ are that you have heard birds singing to welcome the new day.
A. situations B. facts C. dances D. possibilities
60. I ____ you, but I didn't think you would listen to me.
A. could have told B. must have told C. should tell D. might rell
61. This problem may lead to more serious ones if ____ unsolved.
A. making B. remained C. keeping D. left
62. I have no dreams ____ to have a happy life.
A. rather than B. more than C. other than D. less than
63. ——You know Mr. Green has been ill for days?
——Yes, I wonder if he is ____ better now.
A. some B. much C. any D. no
64. $100 a month could hardly ____ the cost of his life in such a big city in this country.
A. spend B. take C. cover D. meet
65. Working in the kitchen for years made Tom ____ a good cook.
A. for B. into C. of D. as
66. She was such a proud person that she would die ____ she would admit she was wrong.
A. rather than B. until C. after D. before
67. ——Are you through with your homework?
A. sort of B. go ahead C. why not D. that's OK
68. ——What field will your son go into after graduation from Nanjing University?
——I'm not quite certain, but he ____ a good teacher of English.
A. promises B. becomes C. makes D. proves
69. My mother is always warning me when I go out, “Don't get off the bus ____ it is stopping. ”
A. until B. before C. while D. after
70. The dance performed by the disabled actors is really a hit, but years ago no one ____ they were to achieve such great success.
A. must have imagined B. could have imagined C. should have imagined D. would have imagined
71. The young lady prefers dressing up for a party to ____ by others.
A. be noticed B. being noticed C. having been noticed D. have been noticed
72. Before the war broke out, many people ____ possessions they could not take with them.
A. threw away B. put away C. gave away D. carried away
73. ____ the pressure from work, teachers have to deal with psychological problems caused by interpersonal relationship.
A. As far as B. As long as C. As well as D. As soon as
74. ——I hear your aunt likes travel, music, clothes and fine food.
——Oh, yeah, and music may have been ____ of her tastes.
A. the rather more respectable B. much the most respectable
C. very the most respectable D. even more respectable one
75. ____ children tend to prefer sweets to meat.
A. The most B. Most C. Most of D. The most of the
76. ——He looks very hot and dry.
——So ____ if you had a temperature of 103.
A. would you B. will you C. would you have been D. do you
77. In 1927 Benjamin Franklin founded one of the first adult-education organizations, ____ the Junto.
A. has been called B. to call C. a group called D. which group called
78. The car ____ at the present speed until it reaches the foot of the mountain at about nine o'clock tonight.
A. went B. is going C. goes D. will be going
79. ——You didn't invite Mary to the ball?
——____ her, too?
A. Must I invite B. Should I have invited C. Must I have invited
D. Should I invite
80. The number 9. 11 is a special number, ____, I think, that will be remembered by the Americans forever.
A. what B. it C. which D. one
81. Will you see to ____ that my birds are looked after well while I'm away?
A. them B. yourself C. it D. me
82. Many teens don't get enough sleep because they have too much homework, which ____ them up at night.
A. makes B. breaks C. turns D. keeps
83. ——Ms Lin looks rather a kind lady.
——But in fact she is cold and hard on us. You ____ believe it!
A. shouldn't B. wouldn't C. mustn't D. needn't
84. The program is like a window on the world ____ you sit by it and fix your attention on what it shows.
A. if B. as C. while D. unless
85. ____ the search engine just gave me some brief introductions rather than the whole content of the book to read.
A. Luckily B. Mostly C. Funnily D. Disappointingly
86. ——Did you know any French before you arrived in Washington?
——Never ____ it, actually.
A. had I learned B. have I learned C. I learned D. was I learning
87. In fact, more and more people ____ to live a greener, healthier and more environmentally “green life”.
A. chose B. choose C. are choosing D. have chosen
88. A special dinner there might include Chinese pork dish, British roast beef and
French-style vegetables. Boiled rice ____ just about everything.
A. is served with B. will serve C. serves with D. is served
89. The professor walked onto the platform and seated himself in a chair, ____ for answering questions.
A. had prepared B. being prepared C. preparing D. prepared
90. In Scandinavian countries it is common ____ for the husband to stay at home to look after the baby.
A. use B. sense C. practice D. idea
91. ——Why was our foreign teacher unhappy yesterday?
——News about the tsunami striking her country ____ an attack of homesickness.
A. set for B. set out C. set about D. set off
92. ——We are informed that the Weifang International Kite Festival starts at 7:00.
——Oh, I didn't expect it was so early! I ____ to go out for dinner with my friends first.
A. was planning B. am planning C. have been planning D. have planned
93. ____ abroad for a tour can be a great honor for an ordinary person like me.
A. Taken B. Taking C. Being taken D. Having been taken
94. ——Did your classmate accept your invitation?
——No, he ____ refused.
A. as far as B. as well as C. as soon as D. as good as
95. I spent the whole day repairing the motorbike. The work was ____ simple.
A. nothing but B. anything but C. something of D. all except
96. ——Not getting that job was a big let-down.
——Don't worry. Something better will ____.
A. come along B. take on C. go by D. fall behind
97. ____ the help of experienced career instructors, this type of job-hunting training ____ to be very efficient.
A. By; has proved B. With; has proved C. Under; is proving D.With; is proved
98. To get as much firsthand information as possible, inspectors will hold workshops and distribute questionnaires, ____?
A. isn't it B. won't it C. aren't they D. won't they
99. It's a bad practice to ____ children much money as a New Year gift.
A. promise B. permit C. admit D. allow
100. By the time you arrive home, I ____, so please don't make any noise when you come in.
A. shall have been sleeping B. shall have slept C. shall sleep D. shall be sleeping