1. In this factory,suggestions often have to wait for months before they are fully _____.
A.admitted B.acknowledged C.absorbed D.considered
2. The boy slipped out of the room and headed for the swimming pool without his parents' _____.
A. command B. conviction C. consent D. compromise
3. Our research has focused on a drug which is so _____ as to be able to change brain chemistry.
A. powerful B. influential C. monstrous D. vigorous
4. The lost car of the Lees was found _____ in the woods off the highway.
A. vanished B. abandoned C. scattered D. rejected
5. Henry's news report covering the conference was so _____ that nothing had been omitted.
A.understanding B.comprehensible C.comprehensive D.understandable
6. She was afraid that unless the train speeded up she would lose her _____ to Scotland.
A. ticket B. place C. seat D. connection
7. The ship was _____ in a storm off Jamaica.
A. drowned B. sunk C. wrecked D. submitted
8. No one has _____ been able to trace the author of the poem.
A. still B. yet C. already D. just
9. More than one-third of the Chinese in the United States live in California, _____ in San Francisco.
A. previously B. predominantly C practically D. permanently
10. The new secretary has written a remarkably _____ report only in a few pages but with all the details.
A. concise B. clear C. precise D. elaborate
11. The managing director took the _____ for the accident, although it was not really his fault.
A. guilt B. charge C. blame D. accusatio
12. The worker agreed to _____ the strike if the company would satisfy their demands.
A. call for B. call forth C. call off D. call up
13. I could just see a car in the distance, but I couldn't _____ what color it was.
A. look out B. make out C. get across D. take after
14. He has impressed his employers considerably and _____ he is soon to be promoted.
A. eventually B. yet C. finally D. accordingly
15. It was a great _____ for him to be pleasant to people he didn't like.
A. attempt B. trouble C. power D. effort
16. The firemen managed to _____ the fire in time.
A. extinguish B. prevent C. suppress D. ruin
17. What is most obvious in this book are all those details of daily living which make Mrs. Richard _____ common.
A. nothing but B. anything but C. above all D.rather than
18. The car was completely _____ and the driver seriously injured.
A. broken off B. taken off C. written off D. picked up
19. On this happy occasion, I'd like to say that we are _____ much obliged to you for your kind cooperation.
A. even so B. ever so C. as yet D. so far
20. His new appointment takes _____ from the beginning of next month.
A. place B. effect C. post D. office、
21. The policeman stopped him when he was driving home and _____ him of speeding.
A. charged B. accused C. blamed D. deprived
22. Mr. Smith gradually _____ a knowledge of the subject.
A. attained B. achieved C. required D. acquired
23. This is the _____ piano on which the composer created some of his greatest works.
A. actual B. genuine C. real D. original
24. My camera can be _____ to take pictures in cloudy or sunny conditions.
A. treated B. adopted C. adjusted D. remedied
25. According to the psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, wisdom comes from the _____ of maturity.
A. fulfillment B. achievement C. establishment D. accomplishment
26. The number of tickets _____ will be determined by the size of the stadium.
A. adaptable B. acceptable C. advisable D. available
27. Too many hotels have been built and this has _____ prices, making holidays cheaper.
A. cut short B. cut out C. cut off D. cut down
28. He is a very honest official and never _____ any gifts from the people who sought his help.
A. accepted B. received C. took up D. excepted
29. He was not _____ to the club because he wasn't a member.
A. allowed B. admitted C. permitted D. approved
30. Although he doesn't like that law, he will _____ with it.
A. confine B. conform C. comply D. contend
31. Motorists _____ of speeding may be banned from driving for a year.
A. convicted B. arrested C. charged D. judged
32. The reason why he adapted to the new situations quickly is that he has a _____ attitude.
A. changeable B. alternate C. movable D. flexible
33. Will all those _____ the proposal raise their hands?
A. in relation to B. in excess of C. in contrast to D. in favor of
34. An early typewriter produced letters quickly and neatly; the typist, _____ couldn't see his work on his machine.
A. however B. therefore C. yet D. although
35. We are interested in the weather because it _____ us so directly ------ what we wear, what we do, and even how we feel.
A. benefits B. guides C. affects D. effects
36. I can meet you at eight o'clock; _____ you can call for me.
A. incidentally B. actually C. alternatively D. accordingly
37. He has the _____ of an athlete: he really goes all out to win.
A. instants B. instances C. instincts D. intelligences
38. A university is an educational institution which _____ degrees and carries out research.
A. rewards B. awards C. grants D. presents
39. The old lady can't hope to _____ her cold in a few days.
A. get over B. get off C. hold back D. hold up
40. Jim's plans to go to college _____ at the last moment.
A. fell out B. gave away C. gave off D. fell through
41. The Department is also deeply _____ in various improvement schemes.
A. connected B. included C. involved D. implied
42. Keys should never be hidden around the house since thieves _____ know where to look.
A. virtually B. variously C. unavoidably D. invariably
43. The boy had a _____ escape when he ran across the road in front of the bus.
A. close B. short C. narrow D. fine
44. Do you mind if I _____ with my work while you are getting tea ready.
A. get through B. turn to C. carry on D. come on
45. I left for the office earlier than usual this morning _____ traffic jam.
A. in line with B. in case of C. for the sake of D. at the risk of
46. The finance minister has not been so _____ since he raised taxes to such a high level.
A. popular B. well-known C. favorable D. preferable
47. It is wrong for someone in such a high _____ in the government to behave too badly in public.
A. situation B. position C. employment D. profession
48. We all knew from the very _____ that the plan would fail.
A. outcome B. outset C. income D. output
49. He looked rather untidy as there were two buttons _____ from his coat.
A. loosing B. losing C. off D. missing
50. Lawyers often make higher _____ for their work than they should.
A. bills B. charges C. prices D. costs
51. The workmen made so much _____ that Mrs. Walker had to spend three days cleaning up afterwards.
A. trouble B. damage C. mess D. nuisance
52. They have held several meetings to _____ next year's production plans.
A. set down B. make out C. work up D. draw up
53. How can we get this language point _____ to the students.
A. down B. round C. across D. into
54. This book gives a brief _____ of the history of the castle and details of the art collection in the main hall.
A. outline B. reference C. article D. outlook
55. Dress warmly, _____ you'll catch cold.
A.on the contrary B.or rather C. or else D. in no way
56. Kate's ambition to become a nurse _____ from a desire to help others.
A. prompted B. promoted C. programmed D. proceeded
57. The island where these rare birds nest has been declared a _____.
A.observation B.reservation C. preservation D.conservation
58. Although John was the eldest in the family, he always let his sister _____ charge of the house.
A. take B. hold C. make D. get
59. The child enjoyed _____ up the wooden bricks then knocking them down.
A. adding B. pushing C. piling D. forming
60. John was very upset because he was _____ by the police with breaking the law.
A. accused B. arrested C. sentenced D.charged
61.It isn't quite _____ that he will be present at the meeting.
A. sure B. right C. exact D. certain
62. Many new _____ will be opened up in the future for those with a university education.
A. opportunities B.realities C.necessities D. probabilities
63. The members of the club wouldn't run a _____ in entrusting(委托) the organization to an unreliable person.
A. danger B. risk C. hazard D. chance
64. The meeting was _____ when the chairman fell ill.
A.put down B.shut out C.cut short D.taken off
65. John says that his present job does not provide him with enough _____ for his organizing ability.
A. scope B. space C. capacity D. range
66. I just managed to _____ a quick breath before I was sucked under the water by the passing boat.
A. snatch B. scratch C. scrape D. scan
67. My brother likes eating very much but he isn't very _____ about the food he eats.
A. special B. peculiar C. particular D. unusual
68. I don't think the charge for overhauling (大修)the equipment is excessive in _____ to its size.
A.correspondence B.equation C.proportion D. dimension
69. Voices were _____ as the argument between the two motorists became more bad-tempered.
A. swollen B. raised C. developed D. increased
70. Having lived in the town for quite a few years, Mr. Johnson no longer felt _____ among the local people.
A. out of order B. out of place C. out of control D. out of the question
71. He stopped his ears with his hands to _____ the terrible noise.
A. show off B. cut out C. keep from D. shut out
72. My house is the only brick one on the street. It _____ and you can't miss it.
A. stands up B. looks out C. sticks out D. wipes out
73. After the show, the crowd _____ out of the theater.
A. poured B. melted C. drew D. dismissed
74. Although it is not our normal _____ to give credit, this time I think we should consider the matter more closely.
A. state B. intention C. occasion D. practice
75. It gave me a strange feeling of excitement to see my name in _____.
A. news B. print C. publication D. press
76. The engineers have rejected the employers' proposals to end the strike and the other workers have come out in _____.
A. opposition B. return C. sympathy D. readiness
77. Her work is often very hard and she gets very tired. The work is _____.
A.wonderful B.splendid C.tedious D.magnificent
78. With prices _____ so much, it's hard for the company to plan a budget.
A.fluctuating B.waving C.swinging D.vibrating
79. Some teenagers have a generalized resentment against society, which _____ them the rights and privileges of adults, although physically they are mature.
A. deprives B. restricts C. rejects D. denies
80. Though _____ in San Francisco, Dave Mitchell had always preferred to record the plain facts of small-town life.
A. raised B. grown C. developed D. cultivated
81. I'm afraid this painting is not by Picasso. It's only a copy and so it's _____.
A.priceless B.invaluable C.unworthy D. worthless
82. The final _____ of the play will take place on Monday.
A. action B. performance C. view D. sight
83. It was a long time before the cut on my hand _____ completely.
A. healed B. cured C. improved D. recovered
84. To get my travelers' checks I had to have the bank _____ a special check for the total amount.
A. make up B. make out C. make for D. make up for
85. She said she was glad the difficulty had been _____.
A. cleared away B. cleared up C. broken away D. broken down
86. I used to be able to play well but I'm _____ now.
A. out of date B. out of touch C. out of practice D. out of place
87. As soon as the children were _____, their mother got them out of bed and into the bathroom.
A. woke B. waken C. wake D. awake
88. Jim was so badly burnt that at first they began to _____ of his life.
A. despair B. designate C. disappoint D. despise
89. The government's strong action demonstrated its _____ to crush the rebellion.
A. energy B. resistance C. courage D. determination
90. New mineral resources may be discovered during the forthcoming Antarctic_____.
A. excursion B. execution C. extraction D. expedition
91. Probability is the mathematical study of the _____ of an event's occurrence.
A. desire B. likelihood C. result D. effect
92. Driving a car without insurance can have _____ consequences.
A. uncertain B. disastrous C. potential D. unworthy
93. The police refused to _____ the clues they were working on.
A. exhibit B. disclose C. expose D. discern
94. What you have done is _____ the doctor's orders.
A. attached to B. resistant to C. responsible to D. contrary to
95. The shop-assistant was straight with his customers. If an article was of _____ quality, he'd tell them so.
A. minor B. humble C. inferior D. awkward
96. The continuous rain was _____ for the exceptional poor harvest
A. blamed B. condemned C. accused D. charged
97. The rocks are very big with _____ of colors on them.
A. bands B. marks C. rails D. shapes
98. There were no tickets _____ for Friday's performance.
A. preferable B. possible C. considerable D. available
99. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, the witness _____ that his story was true.
A. stuck out B. stood out C. kept down D. held up
100. In a typhoon, winds _____ a speed greater than 120 kilometers per hour.
A. assume B. accomplish C. attain D. assemble