201. What makes the space shuttle _____ is that it takes off like a rocket but lands like an airplane.
A. exceptional B. strange C. unique D. rare
202. People cannot but feel _____, for they simply cannot understand how he could have made such a stupid mistake.
A. puzzled B. delighted C. induced D. inspired
203. When a space shuttle has accomplished its _____, it can be ready for another trip in about two weeks.
A. venture B. mission C. commission D. responsibility
204. He's the kind of man who is fond of _____ compliments to other men's wives.
A. paying B. saying C. expressing D. showing
205. Radar enables the pilot of an airliner to take off, fly and land in _____.
A. danger B. comfort C. continuity D. safety
206. The map was drawn to the standard _____ of 1/100,000, so there was not much detail.
A. route B. line C. rate D. scale
207. Our Party has always devoted great attention to raising the living _____ of the working people.
A. cost B. situation C. level D. standard
208. It was _____ by the railway board that the cost of rail fares would be increased by ten percent.
A. noticed B. stated C. suggested D. noted
209. The chances of discovering life on Neptune are about a million _____.
A. at one B. for one C. to one D. against one
210. Everything he said then was _____ by what happened later.
A. identified B. signified C. noticed D. verified
211. The party, which had been greatly _____, was spoiled by the rude behavior of an uninvited guest.
A. looked forward to B. looked up to C. called forth D. called for
212. It was clear that the small grocer was _____ people he owed money to.
A. at the expense of B. at the risk of C. in the way of D. at the mercy of
213. I _____ her not to walk on the thin ice but she would not listen to me.
A. warned B. persuaded C. suggested D. noticed
214. When products made in factories _____, they are thrown away as garbage.
A. come to an end B. are put to use C. are used up D. wear out
215. She is making herself ill with _____ over her son's future.
A. trouble B. annoyance C. disgust D. worry
216. The microphone enabled them to keep in touch, in other words, it made it _____ for them to contact each other.
A. likely B. capable C. possible D. probable
217. They did not find _____ to prepare for the worst conditions they might meet.
A. worth their while B. it worthwhile C. it worth D. it worthy
218. In spite of the thunderstorm, the children slept _____ all night.
A. densely B. soundly C. loudly D. noisily
219. John _____ knowledge of radio just by staying around the radio station.
A. caught on B. worked up C. took up D. picked up
220. I support your decision, but I should also make it clear that I am not going to be _____ to it.
A. connected B. fastened C. bound D. stuck
221. Professor Jordon is well known for his _____ into the habits of the common housefly.
A. examination B. introduction C. research D. expression
222. The Prime Minister refused to comment on the rumor that he had planned to_____.
A. discharge B. dismiss C. resign D. resume
223. It was decided to _____ the search when there was no hope of finding the missing girl alive.
A. call off B. take up C. keep off D. ring up
224. He put in a special _____ for an extra day's holiday so that he could attend his daughter's wedding.
A. request B. demand C. inquiry D. proposal
225. She _____ the temptation to buy a coat she could not afford.
A.challenged B.obstructed C.contradicted D.resisted
226. Scientists have to work hard to keep _____ with modern discoveries and developments.
A. company B. track C. touch D. pace
227. He didn't _____ what I read because his mind was on something else.
A. hold on B. catch on C. take in D. get over
228. We made plans for a visit but _____ difficulties with the car prevented it.
A. consequent B. subordinate C. substantial D. subsequent
229. Arrogance and pride are similar in meaning, but there is _____ difference between them.
A. a submerged B. an indecisive C. an indistinct D. a subtle
230. This watch is _____ to all the other watches on the market.
A. superior B. advantageous C. super D. beneficial
231. The government has lost a great deal of _____ because of the large increase in food pries.
A. strength B. support C. agreement D. vote
232. The branches could hardly _____ the weight of the fruit.
A. retain B. maintain C. sustain D. remain
233. He thought this was the first pair of shoes that had fitted him _____.
A. perfectly B. justly C. fairly D. rightly
234. I feel sure that _____ qualification, ability and experience, you are abundantly suited to the position we have in mind.
A. in case of B. in terms of C. in the opinion of D. in the course of
235. So far as he could, John had always tried to _____ the example he saw in Lincoln.
A. live up to B. set forth C. call for D. cut out
236. It would be _____ a risk to let the child go to school by himself.
A. following B. passing C. running D. carrying
237. Children who are over-protected by their parents may become _____.
A. hurt B. spoiled C. damaged D. harmed
238. Paper making began in China and from there it _____ to North Africa and Europe.
A. sprang B. spilled C. carried D. spread
239. When the entire class worked together they finished the project _____.
A. in no way B. in no time C. on no account D. in no case
240. The _____ of his clothes indicated too clearly that he had been playing football.
A. state B. condition C. occasion D. situation
241. Circus tigers, although they have been tamed, can _____ attack their trainer.
A. unexpectedly B. deliberately C. reluctantly D. subsequently
242. Stressful environments lead to unhealthy behaviors such as poor eating habits, which _____ increase the risk of heart disease.
A. in turn B. in return C. by chance D. by turns
243. The patients believe that the doctor knows exactly how to put them _____.
A. correct B. perfect C. right D. well
244. They decided to leave the waiter a big _____ because the food and service had been excellent.
A. note B. reward C. tip D. gift
245. And you find that you're not to be _____ with a position of real responsibility.
A. offered B. trusted C. furnished D. retained
246. There was a good _____ of the countryside from the front of the bus.
A. sight B. view C. scene D. scenery
247. In aerospace devices the weight of the necessary power producing equipment is _____.
A. vital B. possible C. capable D. reliable
248. This album is _____ as it was the only one ever signed by the President.
A. unusual B. unique C. rare D. special
249. Trains stop here in order to _____ passengers only.
A. get off B. pick up C. pull up D. pull in
250. He _____ the place where he had been bitten by an insect.
A. snatched B. scratched C. squeezed D. stretched
251. It is not profitable to provide bus services in districts where the population is widely _____.
A. scattered B. dismissed C. separated D. spread
252. There are usually at least two _____ of looking at every question.
A. ways B. directions C. views D. opinions
253. He left in such a hurry that I _____ had time to thank him.
A. almost B. even C. nearly D. scarcely
254. As more and more cars are produced and used, so the _____ from their exhaust-pipes contains an even larger volume of poisonous gas.
A. exposure B. distribution C. expansion D. emission
255. The book seems to have been _____ from various books and articles.
A. pieced together B. taken off C. broken away D. pulled out
256. We had a marvelous holiday: only the last two days were slightly _____ by the weather.
A. damaged B. hurt C. ruined D. spoiled
257. I could tell he was surprised from the _____ on his face.
A. appearance B. view C. sight D. expression
258. I'd like to take _____ of this opportunity to thank you all for your cooperation.
A. profit B. benefit C. advantage D. interests
259. If you ever have the _____ to go abroad to work, you should take it.
A. possibility B. offer C. luck D. chance
260. Scientists think they have _____ in their attempt to find the causes of some major dieases.
A. broken through B. worked out C. fallen out D. got round
261. His test results are not very _____. He does well one week and badly the next.
A. invariable B. consequent C. continuous D. consistent
262. The new safety regulations were agreed on after _____ with the work-force.
A. conference B. participation C. intervention D. consultation
263. The room was so quiet that she could hear the _____ of her heart.
A. hitting B. beating C. tapping D. knocking
264. During World War II Malta managed to _____ most of Italian and German bombers by throwing up an effective anti-aircraft screen.
A. put out B. shut out C. come across D. get across
265. I think we should let Maria go camping with her boyfriend. _____, she's a big girl now.
A.Above all B. After all C. First of all D. For all
266. Jim's close _____ to his brother made people mistake them for one another.
A. confusion B. similarity C. resemblance D. imitation
267. It has been decided that this company has the _____ right to print Mr. Smith's novels.
A.eventual B.versatile C.extensive D.exclusive
268. He has recently _____ chess to provide himself with some relaxation.
A. taken on B. taken up C. held on D. held up
269. What a terrible experience! _____ , you are safe, that's the main thing.
A. Somehow B. Anyhow C. Somewhat D. Anywhere
270. John always tries to _____ people who are useful to him professionally.
A. develop B. provoke C. correspond D. cultivate
271. Although hehasn't any formal qualifications, Betas _____ to do well for himself.
A. managed B. succeeded C. arranged D. convinced
272. The family is a cooperative enterprise for which it is difficult to _____ rules, because each family needs to work out its own ways to deal with its own problems.
A. set up B. put down C. keep up D. lay down
273. After a short holiday, he _____ himself once more to his studies.
A. applied B. converted C. engaged D. exerted
274. She felt _____ of having asked such a silly question when the audience couldn't help laughing.
A. guilty B. crazy C. miserable D. ashamed
275. The driver can adjust the heating in winter and the air conditioning in summer to suit his own _____.
A. leisure B. preference C. convenience D. selection
276. There is not much time left; So I'll tell you about it _____.
A. in detail B. in brief C. in short D. in all
277. She got married although her parents had not given her their _____.
A. allowance B. consent C. permit D. appreciation
278. The rain was heavy and _____ the land was flooded.
A. consequently B. constantly C. continuously D. consistently
279. Magnificent views over the countryside have often _____ people to write poems.
A. convinced B. inspired C. induced D. attracted
280. From the cheers and shouts of _____, I gathered that he was winning the race.
A. stimulus B. urgency C. encouragement D. promotion
281. She once again went through her composition carefully to _____ all spelling mistakes from it.
A.withdraw B.abandon C.diminish D.eliminate
282. When the little child caught sight of the young woman _____ in white he started brawling immediately.
A. dressed B. wearing C. worn D. putting on
283. Some areas, _____ their severe weather conditions, are hardly populated.
A. due to B. but for C. in spite of D.with relation to
284. Many university courses are not really _____ to the needs of students or their future employers.
A.associated B. relative C. geared D. sufficient
285. If we can _____ our present difficulties, then everything should be all right.
A. get off B. come across C. come over D. get over
286. Be careful how you _____ that jug, it will break very easily.
A. pour B. operate C. handle D. employ
287. We suddenly saw the bus about to leave and had to run _____ to catch it.
A. hardly B. awkwardly C. hard D. strongly
288. He hated the war so much that he decided to leave the army _____.
A. for long B. once in a while C. for good D. once upon a time
289. This year the farmers were just able to gather in the _____ before the fine weather came to an end.
A. collection B. harvest C. flower D. plant
290. A successful scientist needs _____ if he wants to make hypothesis (假设) of how processes work and how events take place.
A. permission B. penetration C. imagination D. convention
291. Tell your brother to come _____, because it's going to rain in a minute or two.
A. indoors B. outdoors C. outward D. inwards
292. I can't advise you what to do. You must use your own _____.
A. opinion B. guesswork C. justice D. judgment
293. Because of the poor harvest, wheat prices have _____ in the last six months.
A. added B. jumped C. amounted D. developed
294. There is a 20 minute parking _____ here, so we must get back to the car very quickly.
A. freedom B. limit C. allowance D. prohibition
295.The country needs a _____ government. We have had three Prime Ministers in a year.
A. stationary B. changeless C.constant D.stable
296. Having said he would mend the clock, he discovered that he had not brought the _____ tools for the job.
A. concise B. correct C. right D. precise
297. Radium salts, which have been found to _____ in bones, give rise to cancers of the bone.
A. pile up B. build up C. keep up D. pull up
298. It has been laid down that each student must _____ a composition to the teacher once a week.
A. turn in B. give up C. put forward D. bring out
299. Our house is the most _____ one in the street; it is painted red.
A. permanent B.indifferent C.predominant D. prominent
300. I shall take you back to Beijing _____ you are well enough to travel.
A. presently B. promptly C. immediately D. shortly