301. The writer was always looking for suitable _____ to use in his next story.
A. contents B. articles C. notions D. ideas
302. He gave me some very _____ advice on buying a house.
A. precious B. worthy C. precise D. valuable
303. You will get to the church more quickly if you take this _____ across the fields.
A. track B. passage C. method D. journey
304. A landing on Mars is within the _____ of current physical theory.
A. scheme B. scope C. scrap D. scale
305. He was _____ by a bee when he was collecting the honey.
A. scratched B. pricked C. stung D. bitten
306. Don't go too far into the sea, children, or the waves will _____ you off your feet.
A. flow B. cut C. press D. sweep
307. The store had no more red shoes _____, so Mary chose brown ones instead.
A. in demand B. in store C. in need D. in stock
308. Bill is not a fast runner and he doesn't have a chance of winning the marathon, but he will _____ the race even if he finishes last.
A. keep on B. keep to C. stick out D. stick to
309. Can you _____ me _____ two hundred copies of this article by tomorrow.
A. give .. out B. send .. in C. write .. off D. run .. off
310. The current political _____ of our country is favorable for foreign investments.
A. climate B. weather C. state D. occasion
311. It was with great delight that I read in your February _____ the letter to the Editor written by Prof. Johnson.
A. issue B. printing C. magazine D. copy
312. What I'm telling you is strictly _____. Do not let anyone know of it.
A. secretive B. special C. individual D.confidential
313. The author had qualified as a doctor but later gave up the _____ of medicine for full-time writing.
A. prescription B. procedure C. treatment D. practice
314. Julie is one of those women who always _____ the latest fashions.
A. put up with B. come up with C. get on with D. keep up with
315. Having made his first film earlier this year, he is _____ starting in a new one.
A. currently B. actually C. recently D. lately
316. My house is very _____ for getting to work as it is only a few minutes from the station.
A. comfortable B. suitable C. convenient D. available
317. When college students _____ future employment, they often think of status, income, and prestige.
A. demand B. assume C. apply D. anticipate
318. Alice _____ her father that both she and her husband would be happy if he would live with them.
A.convinced B.reinforced C.pledged D.required
319. Neither of them thought highly of him and they both tried to _____ him in his work.
A.hamper B.support C.depress D.prevent
320. She chose cushions of a color which would _____ her carpet.
A. equal B. agree C. help D. match
321. We finally managed to _____ the committee's approval of our plans.
A. secure B. arouse C. acquire D. exert
322. I have such a bad cold that I have lost all _____ of smell.
A. degree B. sense C. strength D. scent
323. She is so _____ that she cried for days when her pet rabbit died.
A. sensitive B. sensible C. imaginative D.impressive
324. The lorry driver was badly _____ when his lorry crashed into a wall.
A. damaged B. hit C. hurt D. harmed
325. I caught a _____ of the car before it disappeared around the bend.
A. glance B. glimpse C. glare D. gleam
326. The car salesman took the customer for a driver in the new model in order to _____ its improved features.
A. advocate B.demonstrate C.exhibit D. reveal
327. The rainbow _____ as the sun came fully out from behind the clouds.
A. dissolved B. removed C. resigned D. disappeared
328. All too _____ it was time to go back to school after the glorious summer holidays.
A. often B. fast C. soon D. late
329. Deserts, dry areas with _____ no vegetation, cover more than one-third of the Earth's land surface.
A. surprisingly B. eventually C. permanently D. virtually
330. After dinner the minister made a short _____ to the guests.
A. delivery B.pronunciation C.conversation D. speech
331. When there's doubt the examiner's decision is _____.
A. right B. final C. definite D. fixed
332. Busy and successful as he was, the novelist was willing to _____ any promising young man and give him all the help he could.
A. take up B. pick up C. make up D. look up
333. He did not find a job yet because he had no _____ to men who could help him.
A. approach B. application C. access D. approval
334. The old man got into the _____ of storing money under the bed.
A. tradition B. habit C. use D. custom
335. The beauty of the place is more than I can describe. I am sure whoever sees it will _____ its charm.
A. appeal to B. stick to C. keep to D. yield to
336. Children are likely to get _____ if no one cares about their upbringing.
A. out of hand B. out of order C. out of place D. out of work
337. When the Greeks had _____ the Persians, a soldier ran from Marathon to Athens.
A. won B. bitten C. beaten D. hit
338. There was a large box behind the door and Peter couldn't _____ falling over it in the darkness.
A. help B. resist C. avoid D. prevent
339.Maria is a _____ person and never makes any unreasonable demands.
A. sensitive B. sensible C. obedient D. jealous
340. Violent programs on television may have a bad _____ on children.
A. affection B. pressure C. influence D. control
341. The shop-assistant was straight with his customers. If an article was of _____ quality, he'd tell them so.
A. humble B. minor C. inferior D. awkward
342. If you put too many potatoes in that paper-bag it will _____.
A. fail B. explode C. crack D. burst
343. One-room schoolhouses can still be found in _____ areas where there are no other schools for many miles.
A.disposed B. deserted C. isolated D. abandoned
344. I'm afraid you have no _____ but to come along with us.
A. possibility B. permission C. choice D. selection
345. I shall never beat John at tennis; we are clearly not in the same _____.
A. set B. band C. group D. class
346. As soon as Charles had _____ a little from his surprise, his one thought was to get away.
A. returned B. absorbed C. dissolved D. recovered
347. When I arrived in this country, I had to start learning the language from _____.
A. scratch B. scrap C. snatch D. scrape
348. The thieves _____ him _____ in the park, took his wallet and escaped.
A. held .. back B. held .. up C. held .. on D. held .. out
349. Japan has to employ an increasing number of overseas workers because there is no easy solution to its labor _____.
A. decline B. rarity C. vacancy D. shortage
350. The two dogs started to fight, so we tried to _____ them.
A. split B. separate C. tear D. divide
351. The rapidly growing birth rate brings about a lot of environment problems, which the government is supposed to take _____.
A. significantly B. severely C. earnestly D. seriously
352. Carl wanted to play a joke on Bob but gave himself _____ by laughing.
A. away B. in C. out D. up
353. The government is _____ and will take the necessary steps to maintain security and stability.
A. on the alert B. out of control C. on guard D. in vain
354. Many people complain of the rapid _____ of modern life.
A. rate B. pace C. speed D. growth
355. She has lost her handbag with the _____ sum of $150 in it.
A. extraordinary B. important C. considerable D. valuable
356. Russia's withdrawal of its experts from China did not strangle (压垮) the Chinese people; _____ it stirred up their enthusiasm for greater exertions.
A. on the other hand B. on the contrary C. to the contrary D. in consequence
357. As he had no friends and relatives in the town, the traveler tried to find a _____ somewhere.
A. log B. lodge C. landing D. lodging
358. Because the children keep interrupting her whenever she reads a book, she is always _____ her place.
A. loosing B. missing C. losing D. looking for
359. The manager said that they had an _____ plan if the plan they had submitted was not accepted.
A. alternate B.alternative C.absolute D. appreciable
360. Jim isn't _____, but he did badly in the final exams last semester.
A. gloomy B. dull C. awkward D. tedious
361. At first Bob was puzzled by Virginia s waving, but then it _____ his mind that she was trying to tell him something.
A. crossed B. passed C. occurred D. opened
362. His job at the hospital did not pay much, so he found another _____.
A. on the rise B. on the spot C. on the decline D. on the side
363. The filling station _____ because there were too many others on the street.
A. fell through B. went under C. fell out D. went through
364. Air and the sun's rays create much distortion, and whatever tends to _____ their influence is useful to the astronomer.
A. exclude B. eliminate C. extinguish D. impose
365. The lady who had invited us heard me telling my wife that the dinner was terrible so I was _____.
A.confused B. nervous C.shameful D.embarrassed
366. Animals should not be locked in cages; they should be in their normal _____.
A. environment B.position C.residence D. dwelling
367. I'm sorry but what he thinks is not of the _____ importance to me.
A. merest B. lowest C. last D. least
368. He offered to _____ her a hand as the suitcase was too heavy for her to carry.
A. lend B. help C. show D. loan
369. I have been looking for this book for months, and _____ I have found it.
A.at least B. in no time C.at last D.at present
370. It was the largest experiment we had ever had; it _____ six hours.
A. ended B. finished C. prolonged D. lasted
371. The _____ stuck on the outside of the envelope said "By Air".
A. label B. ticket C. signal D. sign
372. Psychological studies show that some people are quick-tempered _____.
A. at heart B. on purpose C. in person D. by nature
373. She was putting on her watch when the _____ broke and it fell to the ground.
A. belt B. strap C. tie D. string
374. Feudal landlords, and imperialists are in no way more _____ than wolves.
A. reasonable B. regardless C. ridiculous D. rational
375. His name was on the _____ of my tongue, but I just couldn't recall it.
A. end B. point C. edge D. tip
376. The authorities declared that because of the war petrol was _____ and had to be rationed (定量供应).
A. inadequate B. rare C. lacked D. scarce
377. How did it _____ that the two men arrived to address the same meeting at the same time.
A. fall out B. take place C. get around D. come through
378. He looked incredulous(不轻信的) on hearing the news. He seemed to think it _____.
A. incompatible B.incredible C.inclusive D indifferent
379. In my opinion, your work does not _____ what I expected of you.
A. catch up with B. add up to C. come up to D. go in for
380. I broke my relationship with John because he always found _____ with me.
A. error B. mistake C. fault D. failure
381. Though he did not say so directly, the inspector _____ the man was guilty.
A. declared B. implied C. disclosed D. said
382. At first it seemed that the building would be all right but later it was found to need _____.
A. installations B. modifications C. innovations D. illustrations
383. We can only give you the _____ number of refugees crossing the border at the moment.
A. obscure B. approximate C. impartial D. imaginary
384. Magnificent views over the countryside have often _____ people to write poems.
A. convinced B. inspired C. induced D. attracted
385. There are several landladies approved by the universities who take in_____.
A. lodgers B. residents C. inhabitants D. settlers
386. He is the rudest man I have ever met. Jane, his present secretary, is the only person who can _____ him.
A. respect B. stand C. support D. dislike
387. The main road through Littlebury was blocked for three hours today after an accident _____ two lorries.
A. containing B. connecting C. involving D. including
388. Jane read the article over ten minutes but continued to feel the event related were _____.
A. inheritable B.incredible C.infeasible D. inaccessible
389. In some cities it is very difficult to have a telephone _____ , and people have to wait a long time before they can get a phone.
A. assembled B.installed C. equipped D. repaired
390. _____ up children properly is mainly their parents' duty.
A. Growing B. Rearing C. Bringing D. Raising
391. When the teacher told the boy to sit down, he _____ to her and said she
couldn't make him.
A. gave way B. talked back C. looked up D. got down
392. People _____ with anyone who is always talking about how wonderful he is.
A. fall in B. get fed up C. keep company D. catch up
393. Margaret liked all her classes, but she liked sewing class _____.
A. above all B. in general C. after all D. in particular
394. Walking down the street, she noticed a long _____ of houses, all exactly alike.
A. queue B. rank C. train D. row
395. The president has told his friends that he is sick but will not admit it _____.
A. in private B. in secret C. in public D. in detail
396. The sailor _____ time to visit his family before the ship went to sea.
A. put in for B. got round to C. ask after D. hold on to
397. Throughout most of their lives, humans _____ learn and increase their mental capacity.
A. actually B. readily C. fairly D. primarily
398. Through exposure to air, water, and organic matter, rocks _____ changes known as weathering.
A. undergo B. transform C. undertake D. suspend
399. She tried to _____ out of the window to see the procession more clearly.
A. bend B. lean C. bow D. slope
400. The problem had become _____ in his mind, and he could not decide what to do about it.
A. simplified B. exaggerated C. matured D. isolated